Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Bookworm

 

I think I'm a little behind the masses, but I finally sat down and read this book and I can't get over how great it is.  I heard that it was going to be a great read from so many - radio, friends, reviews... but I always have doubts until I read it myself.  I devoured it in a day and a half, and was both sad and happy when it ended.  Happy because it ends well and sad to turn the last page because it's been too long since I've enjoyed a non-fiction this much!

In brief (and for those who haven't heard about it yet), the story is about Susannah Cahalan, who is a successful journalist at 24.  She starts acting strange - paranoia, stress, breakdowns, numbness, and after seeing a few doctors and doing multiple tests she's told nothings wrong.  Her symptoms continue quickly until she starts having seizures and is put into the epilepsy unit of a NY hospital - I won't say too much of what comes next so I don't spoil, but she continues to get worse and has no recollection of the next month.  She used her interviewing skills and hospital cameras to put together this story of her illness and how she recovered.  It truly inspiring and scary at the same time - check it out if you haven't already!

No comments:

Post a Comment